When I became full weight bearing after broken ankle surgery, my physical therapist told me to get some orthopedic shoes with laces for good support. Not having anything like that I went online and found these amazing Vionic venture women’s mesh athletic shoes.
My left foot and ankle were in constant pain, especially the heel, and I felt I needed extra cushioning there so I paired them with Tuli’s heavy duty heel cups that I already owned from a prior bout with plantar fasciitis.
Together, these are my magic shoes which help me walk without limping and make it easier to do my ankle rehabilitation exercises.
Here are more details on what to look for in an orthopedic shoe and why these Vionic shoes work well for me, as well as cleaning instructions to keep them looking like new.
What to look for in an orthopedic shoe after an ankle fracture
- Proper fit
- Arch support
- Cushioned comfort
- Good traction on the sole
Why I love my magic Vionic shoes
- These shoes are made true to size with a little extra room in the toes. I ordered my correct size and there was still plenty of room for orthotics which I highly recommend to anyone with foot pain.
- The sole is flexible, allowing the foot to bend properly while walking.
- The footbed holds the foot in proper alignment and is removable for cleaning. Good support is crucial when learning to walk without limping because the foot is weak during the rehabilitation process. The footbed comes up higher on the side where the arch is and that’s where I feel it stabilizes my foot to keep me balanced through each step.
- The shoe is cushioned lightly in the footbed and more heavily padded around the opening. It feels like a little pillow around my sore ankle.
- The stretchy mesh fabric keeps feet cooler and more comfortable. I also like that the tongue is sewn in place, making it a little easier to get on.
- The rubber soles have little ridges on the bottom for good traction.
- With the shoe being so lightweight and properly padded, I can wear them all day and practically forget I have them on.
- Finally, they’re just cute and the bright pink color I chose makes me happy!
Cleaning my magic shoes
Instructions for this are lacking so I had to do some digging and learned that they can’t be washed in the washing machine or soaked in water. That presents a challenge when you end up with mud all over your shoes like I did one time. So what I did was to let the mud dry and then brush off as much as I could.
Then I used an enzyme cleaner solution that I mixed from powder and placed in a spray bottle.
I saturated the shoes with the solution and let them sit in the sink for about 20 minutes.
After that I scrubbed gently with a scrub brush, rinsed with water and put them in the sun to dry for a while.
And voila, they look like new again.